I’m Deborah Carver, I live in Minneapolis, and I’m the writer and publisher of The Content Technologist. When I’m not compiling the weekly newsletter, I’m a digital strategy consultant at the intersection of technology and content.
What I truly love: Helping content professionals navigate the technical ins and outs of algorithms, automations and analytics — so they can free up more brain space for creativity.
Sometimes I assist in content operations, helping companies design workflows and tech stacks that support high-quality content creation. Other times, I collaborate on data-informed content strategy, using search query research and social listening data to complement a publication’s mission and vision, uncovering hidden opportunities for content.
Want to work together? Find out more about my consulting services here.
I’ve had a truly interdisciplinary career, working a string of offbeat jobs — a mixology server, a seller of dog art, an editor of history books, etc. — before landing where I am today.
I’ve also created a rainbow of content across many versions of the internet, developing websites in my teens, joining social media networks as they hatched in my college years, and studying the rise of blogging in the early aughts.
Since 2011, I’ve developed award-winning content strategies, guided website redesigns and ensured algorithmic visibility for Fortune 500 companies, nonprofits, B2B SaaS startups, and everything in between.
A longer explanation of the title of this website: What is a content technologist?
Assorted recent consulting clients
Assorted recent coverage
- BuiltIn - “10 Do’s And Don’ts Of Data-driven Content Strategy”
- Business Insider - “1 woman's experiment with newsletter platforms revealed 4x traffic growth thanks to one strategy: leaving Substack”
- Divvy - “Could AI generated content work for you?”
Past speaking engagements, in-person and virtual
- ContentTECH 2020 - Customizing your content toolstack for your team
- Writer webinar - No sense of an ending: Marketing when the world has lost a narrative structure - available to watch on demand
- Confab 2015 - Humans Make Search Happen: Using behavioral data to debunk SEO’s sullied reputation, co-presented with Katie Tweedy of Collective Measures (fka Nina Hale, Inc.)
- BrightEdge Share 2015 - Content Convergence: Search, Social and Content - available to watch on demand
- Best Content Strategy - Content Marketing Awards 2016 (with Nina Hale, Inc. and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of MN)
- Runner up, Best Content Strategy - Content Marketing Awards 2019 (with MSPC and McKesson)
When I’m not being fully professional, I use the handle fightwithknives. It’s been my handle for 20 years, and I’m stubbornly clinging to it.
Still here? Fill out the form below and let's collaborate.