The Content Technologist is growing! If you have a methodology you want to share, reviews you’re dying to write, or deep thoughts on the immediate future of digital content, consider applying to become a quarterly or one-time guest columnist.
We’re seeking active practitioners who want to share their knowledge of digital content strategy with our audience of content professionals.
If you have an idea for a quarterly column or one-off essay that you think would resonate, don’t hesitate to pitch it our way.
Any topic that rests under the umbrella of “content technology” is fair game, especially subjects and media we’ve yet to cover in The Content Technologist, such as
- Visual content
- UX design
- Audio, video, games, and emerging content tech
- Live streaming and digital events
- Digital asset management
- Social media algorithms and dynamics
- Content moderation
- Community management
- Product content
- UX writing
- Branding and identity
- Content for ecommerce
- Adapting content for global audiences
- Data security and privacy
- Anything you know about the business of content that you didn't learn in school
If you’ve been itching to write long (1000-2000 words) about your expertise in content design, content strategy, user experience, optimization, the business of publishing or content marketing, or cultural impact in any medium, collaborate with us!
Columnists will be compensated competitively with both a flat fee and commission/revenue share. Compensation will begin at $1/word for a 1,000-2,000 word essay with additional commission available.
Independent consultants or freelancers working in relevant fields and looking to expand their audience are highly encouraged to pitch. We're also keen on submissions from full-time content pros looking to spread the word about their amazing work. Even if it’s been a while since you’ve written for an outside audience, we’d love to hear your professional perspective.
You'll be collaborating with experienced editors who will help you fine tune your ideas and writing.
If you already have a blog, newsletter or website where you write regularly, we’re happy to explore co-publishing and flexible rights agreements.
- Our audience is professional and practical but not at all boring or dry. We’re looking for content that meets their needs—lively, original, and rooted in experience.
- This is not a link-building scheme, we hate spam, and “seo guest posts” will not be considered.
- Our perspective is neither overly critical of tech nor fawning over its unproven promise. We seek writers who embrace and create digital culture while understanding its faults.
- No ad tech or growth hacking, please.
- If you're unfamiliar with The Content Technologist, please read a few posts on the website before sending your pitch.
On October 19, we held a Q&A for potential writers. Here are the notes from that meeting.
Submissions for columns, via the form embedded below and linked here, are due October 31, 2022.